09 March 2013

Inquiry should be action-oriented.


I'm new to the PYP, but not inquiry-based learning. I have always shepherded my students along winding paths of inquiry, in and out of concepts, practicing skills and picking up facts and information along the way. However, my approach to action and attitudes is rather different than what I've seen and heard from PYP teachers thus far.

Many of my inquiry plans begin with action. Provocation is done in the form of a challenge to help solve a problem of global and social significance. To do this, we firstly analyze the problem and the attitudes which can be used to set and achieve a service action goal. From there, an inquiry cycle like any other develops naturally and organically while the action plan is being constantly reiterated.

Rather than being "what we want the children to do", action is a clear goal.

Rather than being "how we want the children to behave", attitudes are interwoven into the inquiry.

The general inquiry goal is to integrate and utilize knowledge, skills, concepts, attitudes, and action to contribute to a better world. Rich, discipline-specific content is always critical to our service goals as well as a host of authentic skills and a genuine sense of participation and unity.

Here's an example from my Grade 2 class at Full-Circle Learning Academy: We were assigned a global learning partner school in Lesotho, Africa. We learned that the parents of our learning partners were very upset that their children didn't seem to care about school or helping with chores around the home. My class hypothesized that the children were deficient in the attitude of appreciation and devised a plan to help. They made "Appreciation Bracelets", loads of them, and sent them to Lesotho with instructions. My students sent them because they appreciated having learning partners in another country. It was the recipients' challenge to give them away to show their appreciation to their parents, teachers, and each other. Did they do it? I have no idea. Did my students become masters of appreciation and feel empowered to solve problems? You bet, unbelievably so. Those kids made me well up with tears of joy on a regular basis. Along the way, they practiced writing friendly letters, inquired into geographic themes, practiced some mathematical calculations, and even sprouted a healthy curiosity for African history.

The photo we received back from the class in Lesotho:


Seeing my class react with unbridled enthusiasm to this photo was all the convincing I needed to pursue this model further.

I don't always organize inquiries in this way, but I try to inject it whenever it fits. I think this is an unmatchable way to help young learners prepare for their PYP Exhibition and, more importantly, a life of conscientious service.

No comments:

Post a Comment